Sunday, March 6, 2011

Project Master Bedroom



The one thing Jason and I have always put off is our room. It has always been a haven for "things". Like a junk drawer or closet. NOT ANYMORE. Last year I started on this project and it has been slow, but fun. Thanks to my mom and her previous job, I have been able to get tons of beautiful silk and other materials for way cheap and even free. Also, awhile back I had bought this bedding set that was the color I wanted, but a little too contemperary, but the price was right. So starting with the drapes last year, we used an aqua and bronze silk that was normally $35/yard that we got for $75 total for 8 yards along with a very elegant rod for free that the store was throwing away:). The next project that I just started was the pillows. I did major surgery on the pillows that came with the contemporary bed set and turned them into the picture above(I should have done before and after shots) My mom had to help me a bit because I don't know how to put zippers in yet and one of the fabrics was a throw away at her job when they closed that cost $60/yard that I really didn't feel comfortable touching. Between the both of us and the good seamstress genes that my mom passed down, we did a major transformation. The next project(I have to wait until it gets a little warmer) is the bed. We acquired the sleigh bed for cheap and I am going to refinish it. It is a pretty cool technique that I found on you tube. I am leaving the stain that it has on it and just sanding the gloss off, then I am taking a very dark stain and rubbing over the bed making the edges, corners and crevices really dark fading into a deep mahogany. I believe they call it like a "Teak" finish. Then I will be blending a mahogany accent to the side tables I have to make it all match. I am so excited because I love PROJECTS! And for the last project, I am going to try to find either a fancy big arm chair or a chaise and re-apolster it in a chocolate damask fabric. Woohoo, heres to a project summer!

Oh yeah and does anyone know a good place to get like a 16X20 picture or painting for a good price. I already have an awesome frame?

1 comment:

MEG said...

LOOKS AWESOME! You can print almost any 16x20 at Costco for $9. Use one of those fabulous family pictures you got taken for Christmas and have it blown up!!!

If you don't have a costco account, I'll do it for you and have it sent...just let me know!